CREATE-NET (Center of REsearch And Telecommunication Experimentations for NETworked communities) was established in 2003 as a non-profit association with the support of the Autonomous Province of Trento and the involvement of many prestigious institutions, among them ITC-Irst (the Italian leading institute on Artificial Intelligence), University of Trento, CNR-IIT (Institute for Informatics and Telematics), Technion (Israel Institute of Technology) and BUTE (Budapest University of Technology and Economics). The Center has been led by prof. Imrich Chlamtac until the end of 2016 when it was merged with Bruno Kessler Foundation (FBK).
FBK CREATE-NET Research Center is embracing the Vision of developing a Next Generation Internet, an “Internet of Humans built by addressing technical challenges across all levels (top-down and bottom-up) of Internet usage (user, application, management, infrastructure) to support a free, open and interoperable Internet, developed and used at its full potential at all levels of technology, business and society.”
The Center implements this Vision by contributing to the objectives identified in the Strategic Plan of Bruno Kessler Foundation pursued through a set of Missions in domains having a direct impact on Society and Economy.
In particular, CREATE-NET is delivering breakthrough solutions on a set of application domains by leveraging on its unique research expertise in Internet technologies and telecommunications like 5G/6G networks, fog & edge computing, Internet of Things platforms and communication & network security.
By connecting a plethora of things and objects like cars, drones, robots, cameras and sensors, and by making them smarter through the pervasive application of Artificial Intelligence algorithms and methods, such technologies can foster the Digital Transformation of several domains like industry, transportation, agriculture, energy and environment.
- More than 900 publications overall, about a quarter of them published in high Impact Factor journals, with an annual average of 15 journal papers (mostly Q1) in the period 2017-2019
- 27+ Million Euros of funds from the European Commission, 7+ Million Euros from commercial projects in collaboration with Industry and SMEs
- Strategic industrial collaborations with key players on Internet technologies (see our ongoing co-innovation labs and our strategic partnerships)
- Several spin-offs launched in recent years leveraging on key outcomes of EU-funded projects
- Partner of the EIT Digital-KIC, EIT Climate-KIC and EIT Raw Material-KIC (via HIT), the European Institute of Innovation and Technology focusing on Digital technologies, Climate Change and Raw Materials
- During the Digital360 Awards 2018 event organised by Digital 360 SpA, CREATE-NET has been recognized among the top research centers active in the promotion of Digital Innovation in Italy. The study performed by the “Osservatorio Startup Hi-tech” jointly with the “Osservatorio Startup Intelligence”, has been analysing the impact of the research & innovation activities of more than 98 Research Centers active in the digital ecosystem in Italy.
- For two consecutive three-years periods (2008-2010 and 2011-2013), the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR) recognized the scientific quality of CREATE-NET Center with additional financing related to the Ministerial Decree 44 08/02/2008 – Contribution to private organizations that carry out research.
- According to the Digital Agenda Scoreboard 2014 – Italy, CREATE-NET reached the 20th place of the Top 50 Italian organisations by funding 2007-13 (cumulated figures) with funding from the European Commission – FP7 for over 10 million euros, equal to 1.3% of total loans accumulated in Italy (total 65.2%).